Friday, September 16, 2011

Isn't that Smart!


Yesterday as I was driving 25 miles an hour on a stretch of road that is
normally 55 miles an hour and running late, I was thinking I need to leave
earlier for anywhere I go now especially in the mornings and early afternoon
when school begins and lets out. So naturally I started thinking about
school…and teachers and the classic school teacher symbol, an apple. Well, then
I wanted to eat an apple. I love fruit. (I often tell people, if I could
survive on it alone, I would be a fruititarian, a word I thought I made up and
was quite pleased with myself until I heard another person I had never met, use
it. I won’t lie, I pouted.) Anyway, I love to eat fruit; I love to bake, I’m
sure you see where this is going.

Apple Muffins and a late check mark was what came of that car ride. Apple
muffins for a school teacher…translated as healthy apple muffins. Now, we all
know that I work for Abel & Schafer and my first choice for the baking I do
will always include a product that we sell…think of it as my blog sponsor(you've been to my blog, right?!!). But, before I worked for A&S I did some
product development and baking for a few other companies and the best products
I ever came across were indeed from Abel & Schafer! They were my first pick
before they had to be! Once you see and taste the quality (for those of you who
haven’t) you’ll jump on board too. Besides quality and deliciousness (is that a
word?) they are based/founded in Germany, and let me tell you something about
those European’s; they know how to bake! They know bread, they know pastries,
cookies…they got it all! Plus, they are a little more health conscience than we
are, and better about the environment. But that’s a whole other blog. ....So I
went through the gallery of products and recipes we have and low and behold,
and I don’t know when I got it, but there was a recipe for apple cinnamon
muffins made with our Whole Grain Fiber Nugget Mix! (I love when fate s miles
on me!) Now, if you want to talk healthy…the WG Fiber Nugget Mix is a great
place to start! It's all natural and you wouldn't know by tasting it, but it’s
chock full o’ fiber and happens to be one of our best selling lines of muffins.
It contains wheat, oat and soy bran, and eggs...so there are all of your
allergens you need to alert customers about!

If you would like to give these scrumptious muffins a try, drop me a line or give me a call, then let me know what you think, other fruits you try, and if you know a special teacher you are going to bring a muffin to! I’m giving one to my mom next time I see her, if I can pry that last one out of my boyfriend's hand anyway. I'll retype the formula here, but for a PDF version, send me an e-mail. kmckenna@kompletusa.com.


WHOLE GRAIN APPLE CINNAMON MUFFINS
Prep Time: 50 Minutes
Yield: 6 pounds, 3 oz

2lb 8oz Abel & Schafer Natural Whole Grain Muffin Mix 22260
1 oz Ground Cinnamon
14 oz Whole Eggs
14 oz Vegetable Oil
14 oz Water
1 lb Apples, cored, peeled and diced
Rolled Oats as needed

Method
1. Use a paddle to blend all ingredients on low speed for 1 minute. Thoroughly
scrape down the bowl and paddle and mix on medium speed for 6-8 minutes.

2. Add apples and mix on low speed only until they are fully incorporated.

3. Scoop into muffin cups of desired size, or fill a one-pound loaf pan with 16 oz
of batter and sprinkle with rolled oats.

4. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

*For cholesterol free muffins, substitute egg whites for the whole eggs.
*For variations on the apple cinnamon use fruit of choice, dried fruit, chopped nuts,etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment