Friday, December 2, 2011

Do You Hear What I Hear....(It's me!!)






Can you believe it’s been a month already?! One month since my last post. It’s been a wonderful month for me, starting with the fact that, I’m back here, with you. After deciding to make some changes in my life and leave sales, through the very gracious and kind thoughts of my management at Abel & Schafer, we decided that I would stay on as the author of our blog, Crumby News as well as our newsletter, of the same name. If you aren’t on the newsletter mailing list, send me an e-mail and we’ll get you signed up. It’s a condensed version of the blog, a few different pieces of information here and there and links to articles that I found interesting, or bits of news I’ve heard that I think are worth sharing.

In the past month I’ve also been to London on a mini vacation with my best friend, who graciously treated me to The Waldorf downtown in the theater district. The last time I was in London walking around the city, all I cared about was the then HUGE toy store Hamley’s, which at one time was the biggest toy store going. Before the introduction of Toy’s R Us, Hamley’s, which is six floors of just toys, was a dream. This time around, I was more focused on the amazing food finds, the outdoor markets, the endless possibilities and varieties of cultural food and my second taste of Indian Food, and from what I hear, authentic Indian Food. If you ask any Londoners, turns out Indian Food is THE food of London. More popular even than fish and chips with mushy peas, which I also had. I love me some chips and malt vinegar! Then after returning home, Thanksgiving was knocking at the door, more amazing food and some really really delicious pumpkin pecan rolls and some perfect, if I do say so myself, Parker House Rolls, and now it’s December and I’m two weeks away from heading to Seattle, Washington. I’ve never been to Washington, so I’m really excited to see a new place and to check out Pike’s Place Market, and yes, I’ll admit it, grab a cup of coffee. And SOON….so soon, I get to cut my Stollen! Who has made Stollen?

Speaking of who has made Stollen…I have to ask you all a favor! Nobody EVER responhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifds to me on this blog! I want to talk to you guys, hear about what you are baking, answer questions, recommend products and share my photo’s and see yours!! Please sign up so you can talk to me! I’m not above begging!! PLLLLLLEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! You can’t tell, but I’m even on my knees.

Now, let’s get to business!Do you know who your target audience is? Do you strive to please everyone or is there a specific group that you aim to keep on top? I was reading an article from QSR’s online magazine written by their “marketing guru” Denise Lee Yohn about marketing efforts that will increase brand appeal. And she pointed out that for the quick serve restaurant the target audience is mom’s and the millennials, or those born in the 1980’s and 1990’s (80 million of them!!) who eat out 12 or more times a month and spend more of their income on food than any other generation has. I don’t know if I’m happy or sad I narrowly missed the boat on being classified as a millennial…hmm. Anyway, what the article points out is that since these two groups represent such a large source of spending that quick serve restaurants NEED to understand what drives them and when they do, they will certainly benefit. For QSR, millennials want creativity and innovation. The like options and opportunity to try new things whether it be ethnically or unusual, they like change and novelty. They want community engagement, they want to be listened to and they require social networking. Watch what you do and say, these customers make decisions based on what they see, read and hear. The second group, moms. We all know how important moms are, but did you know there are 32 million mom’s in the US and those 32 million account for $1.6 trillion in annual spending? I had no idea…I did know mom’s need ease, flexibility and options. They decide where the families go, they decide how the families eat and they like healthy options, value and convenience…quick convenience that is. Mom’s also like social media. They post pics, they blog, they research and they comment. Make mom happy. Yours, mine and the rest of them, they’ll take care of you in return. Just like a mom wants to!

So, the basic message? Mom’s need help, kids need value and you need customers. It’s the same give a little, get a little, you scratch my back I’ll scratch yours and do unto other’s lesson’s we’ve all been learning our whole lives. Can’t say I didn’t see that coming! Now, subscribe to my blog and tell me who your target audience is? I’d love to know how it varies by location and what you do to make your customers feel special. Who has an app? Who can be found with a geo tracker and Bing or Google? Let me know how you shine amongst your competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment